Thursday, April 7, 2011

Final Piece from Class

I picked up my last piece from class today. Gotta say I'm extermely happy with how it turned out! It's almost exactly what I was envisioning before I started work on it. Did a much better job thinning out the bubble before puntying it up so happy about that.

Add the color spots was pretty hard and I think they came out well. I made them from broken pieces of a "floor model". What was hard is they were pretty thick and it took a long time to melt them in. Spent almost an hour going back and forth from the glory hole keeping a balance between melting the pieces and trying not to collapse the bubble.

Just about my only criticism is that at one point I used the paper to try and smooth it out and I shouldn't have. There is a little bit of ash that got caught on the edges that gave the color spots a bit of a burnt look. Still quite happy, but it's always good to find something to learn from with each piece!

2 comments:

  1. Matt - that piece looks awesome! I really enjoyed watching you and Jeff trying to get those "floor model" chunks to loosen up on the marber. Thought for a moment there that you might wind up borrowing a welding torch...

    Please keep in touch. You know I'll be happy to handle doors for you guys any time.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ann! I'm actually thinking about doing a small series with the same technique. First I'd make a small (thin!) piece with the color(s) I want the chunks, then purposely break it. Then use those shards on the final pieces.

    I saw a few examples from some amazing artists that got me thinking about it. I figure if I make the shards on purpose, I can keep them thin and make it easier to melt in.

    I'm going to be out of it for a couple of weeks (woo hoo, vacation!), but planning on some studio time in May, just not sure when yet.

    ReplyDelete