Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Assisting

A couple of weeks ago Doug asked me that since I wasn't taking another course if I would be interested in assisting him in his classes. He thought it would be beneficial for other students new to glassblowing to have someone else that was just starting out to talk to and have help them.

I was very excited about it and was flattered that he thought I'd progressed enough to be helfull as a teachers assistant. I won't be able to do it regularly, just here and there as Jen and I can juggle schedules.

Today was the first class for this session. Doug has only two students in this session, Rayna and Gail. We spent some time talking about glassblowing in general and then Doug had me demo a paperweight while he talked to the class about each step. Apparently all I really need is an audience because everything went perfectly. And I think it was the straightest jack line I've done to date! Afterwards I just hung around and talked "shop" with the ladies. I really enjoy acting as a mentor; I like helping other people and honestly I learn a lot myself. Hopefully the class got some benefit from me being there!

To top it off, Doug let me sneak in a piece on my own while they were taking a break!

It'll be a few weeks, but I'm looking forward to going and helping out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment