Sunday, June 26, 2011

June 4th Studio

Sorry for the delay on this one. After picking up my most recent pieces, I realized I didn't put up my previous ones!

Three pieces from this session. My main piece was also the most instructive! I wanted to try a larger piece and was shooting for a vase. I also experimented with putting some cane in the optic mold to get a line pattern on it.

I jumped a little too far on this one. After my last gather, I should have let some of the glass strip off before coming out of the furnace (or stripped off into a bucket). I cooled my pipe and then sat down at the bench to start shaping it...and that when I lost control. There was too much glass dripping down, the pipe got heavy and lopsided so I couldn't turn it, and the next thing we knew, there was a puddle of molten glass on the floor.

To top it off, it landed on wax drippings so it also burst into flames! Yeah, exciting piece! We recovered from it, and then I proceeded to blow the piece too thin at the bottom. The piece came out sloppy, but we learned a lot from it.


Next I wanted to practice another cup. The focus of this piece was to work on thinner walls and nice clean base. Met all my goals on this one!


Finally, a small test. How fast could I get through a simple paperweight. This one took 15 minutes from start to finish. Definitely improving!

No comments:

Post a Comment