Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Assume the title

Tonights class was a big milestone for me.  Tonight I left feeling like a glassblower.  A beginner still for sure, but a glassblower.

Up until now the only blown glass pieces we have done were heavily assisted by Doug.  We've done some paperweights (solid pieces worked on the punty, no blowing) on our own (assisting each other but no direct help from the teacher), but nothing on the blowpipe by ourselves.

Tonight we learned how to punty a piece.  After a practice exercise, Lauren and I worked on blown pieces completely on our own.  Her piece was a short vase (or a large cup) and mine was a vase that I spun out to get some ruffled edges.  More importantly we did every step without help!  Pics of the piece will be up next week.

Edit: New pics from last weeks "screwup".

5 comments:

  1. Tonights piece is in the annealer, no pic until next week. But I added the shots from the one I brought home tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to say you did a great job! I dont want you to feel like I'm throwing you to the wind but as you have seen by last night the only way to learn is to just do it. Its your time to just be observed and achieve on your own and you did a great job at that. I was very pleased with your progress. so GREAT JOB!
    Your instructor,

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! Some "screwup," Matt! It's totally awesome - just like you planned it. That's your story and you're sticking to it, remember?

    ReplyDelete